Friends' Meeting House, Leighton Buzzard
of the Quaker faith was believed to have started in the town with the
support of Quakers from Woburn Sands. Initially, meetings were held in
a loft at the rear of 13-15 Market Square, which were the premises of
John Grant and his wife Hannah, a grocer and tallow chandler.
Friends' Meeting House, was built in North Street in 1789, and was
financed by John Grant. An entry in the Quarter Session Records for 22nd
April 1789, shows the intention to use the new building "...by Protestant
disenters from the Church of England called Quakers, as a place of worship".
Admission to the tenement was granted to John Grant and his
wife, 27th October 1789.
To the rear of the premises is a graveyard. It is notable
that all the gravestones are identical and of a plain design, reflecting
their belief that all men are equal.
In the 1800s three cottages were built to the front of the
Meeting House, one of which was for use by the caretaker of the hall.