Baptist Church at Leighton Buzzard
Baptist Church was founded by seven people in 1775. When the pastor arrived
he reported that the 'moral state of the town was deplorable,
with bull-baiting and cock-fighting abounding'. A Chapel and house were
soon given to the church, and baptisms were performed in the
they had also
In 1832 a
split in the group occurred when some members were dissatisfied with
the pastor and with the open communion policy, and as a result the Strict
Baptist Church was formed.
1834 the original Chapel was extended, and by
1864 a new Chapel had been
the site of
the old one, in Lake Street. This new chapel cost £900 and was built
in the italian style. It was capable of seating 500 people.
In 1972 the chapel was closed and in 1983 the building was
demolished. The site has subsequently been developed as a residential
housing estate, and has been named 'Chapel Mews'.
In 1865, the group which split from the original church, took
possession of the Wesleyan Methodist's old chapel in Hockliffe Street.
In 1892, the
Chapel, also in Hockiliffe Street, was built at a cost of £4,000
and capable of seating 670 adults.