The Church of St. Michael, Billington
History & Description
church of St. Michael is located at the top of Billington Hill in approximately
the centre of the village. The church dates from the 13th century, with
numerous changes being made up to modern times. Some features from the
13th century still remain, including the arch of the west window of the
and the piscina of the chancel.
The chancel, which was rebuilt relatively recently, is of
red sandstone rubble with larger pieces of clunch. There are also fragments
of the old wall incorporated into the structure. The restored 15th century
east window has three cinquefoiled lights with perpendicular tracery
under a pointed head, with the jambs alone being old. The north wall
of the chancel contains a square shaped recess with
no moulding. Closer to the nave is a window consisting of a single trefoiled
light. The head of the window being modern, but the jambs being of late
13th century date. The surrounding walling is also from the
original chancel. The late 13th century chancel
piscina is found in
the south wall. It is a trefoiled pointed piscina in two hollow-chamfered
orders and a half-round label. Near to the piscina is a square
headed window of two uncusped lights. Further west of this, is a single light
window, similar to that on the opposite north wall.
north and south walls of the nave, each contain two 15th century windows.
Each wall has one of three cinquefoiled lights and one
of two, uncusped lights. The walls are plastered and have low butresses
for strength. At the west end, there are two modern butresses, which
are arched over and carry an octagonal bell turret containing a single
bell (see photo above). The bell turret came originally from St.
Barnabas's Church, Linslade, where it had been replaced with a new tower.
The west window is of two uncusped lights under a square head, which
replaces a pointed window of which the label inside rests on shafts with
foliate capitals, bases and moulded bands of the late 13th century.
The south doorwayof the nave is in two chamfered orders with
a scroll moulded label. The porch is modern.
The font is octagonal, of plain design, and dates from the
B.A. licenced Curate on his own
petition as Vicar of Leighton on the death of Samuel Clark
||John Wilson on
the death of Humphrey Drape per the inhabitants
||William Kemble licenced
by the Bishop by lapse
||John Charles Orlebar,
Clerk, licenced to perpetual curacy by a majority of the inhabitants
(also curate of Heath & Reach).
||1858 - 1897
Titular Rector by Church Tithes Act, 1865
||1898 - 1901
||1902 - 1912
||J. H. Stallard
||1913 - 1924
||1924 - 1931
||1932 - 1933
||P. C. C. Lamb
||1934 - 1937
||Arthur T. Stephens
||1937 - 1940
||Frederick C. Chambers
||1942 - 1946
||W. A. Allen
||1946 - 1964
||F. Scoble Rogers
Photo & Picture
Gallery for St Michaels - click
here to view the photos