Leighton-Linslade Past Times: including Billington, Eggington, Heath & Reach and Stanbridge
Leighton Buzzard
Contents Menu
Domesday Book
What's in a name?
Town Coat of Arms
Guided Tours
Pubs, Inns & Hotels
Other notable buildings
Leighton Buzzard Observer
Trade Directories
Local People
Manorial History
Impacts of Wars
Contents & photos
© copyright Kevin Quick

Leighton Buzzard Almshouses


Wilkes Almshouses  

Location: North Street.

History: The original almshouses were built in 1630 by Edward Wilkes in memory of his father John Wilkes (see also the will of Edward Wilkes). The buildings were rebuilt in 1857 and then subsequently extended in 1873.

The almshouses provide housing for ten poor widows.

Edward's son Matthew bequeathed funds in his will for an annual commemoration to take place on Rogation Monday at the almshouses, and this ceremony still occurs every year.

Wilke's Almshouses, Leighton Buzzard
Wilke's Almshouses, Leighton Buzzard
Page's Almshouses  

Location: Church Street
History: These almshouses were built in 1903 following a request in the will of Councillor William Sharp Page. They are located adjacent to the former site of St. Andrews church, and actually on the site of the sandstone quarry used for the construction of the church.

The £1,200 bequest was for six almshouses for 2 married couples, 2 single men and 2 widows or spinsters, plus money for the maintenance of the buildings

Councillor Page also bequeathed a field to the town to be used as a recreation ground and which is now known as Page's Park.


Page's Almshouses, Leighton Buzzard