Catholic Church of the Sacred Heart, Leighton Buzzard
Roman Catholic Church first established a permanent presence in Leighton
Buzzard (that is following the Reformation in the 16th century) in
1892, when it rented a room in a premises in North Street (at the rear
year the first
Mass was celebrated.
Three years later, in 1895, a historic event took place when
the Bishop of Northampton, Dr. Riddell, visited Leighton Buzzard to administer
Confirmation to a number of local people. This was the first time such
a service had been conducted in the town for over three hundred years.
Also in 1895, the Church of the Sacred Heart was provided
with a Resident Priest, the Reverend Charles E. Reilly. He was instrumental
in the collection of funds and the purchasing of the plot of land in
Beaudesert, Leighton Buzzard, where the current Church and Presbytery are
Late in 1897 the first church was erected, and was constructed
of corrugated iron. This church was used until 1952, when it was found
necessary to build a new church with a larger capacity. This new church
was completed in 1953 and remained without alteration until. in the late
1960's it was re-roofed.