Leighton-Linslade Past Times: including Billington, Eggington, Heath & Reach and Stanbridge
Leighton BuzzardLinsladeBillingtonEggingtonHeath & ReachStanbridge
Contents Menu
Home
Domesday Book
What's in a name?
Town Coat of Arms
Guided Tours
Leighton Buzzard Observer
Trade Directories
Trade Directories
1830  Pigot's Directory
1864 Post Office Directory
1890 Kelly's Directory
1903 Kelly's Directory
1936 Kelly's Directory
Census
Local People
Events
Manorial History
Impacts of Wars
Populations
Bibliography
Links
Contents & photos
© copyright Kevin Quick

1903 Kelly's Trade Directory - STANBRIDGE

STANBRIDGEis a small village and parish, 1 mile north from Stanbridge Ford station on the Leighton Buzzard and Dunstable branch of the London and North Western railway, 3 miles east-by-south from Leighton Buzzard and about 4 north-west from Dunstable, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Manshead, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Leighton Buzzard, rural deanery of Dunstable, archdeaconry of Bedford and diocese of Ely. The church of St. John the Baptist is a building of the 13th century, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave of four bays, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 5 bells: the church was altered in the 15th century, the nave roof flattened and leaded, and Perpendicular windows inserted: there is an ancient stone font, of very early, possibly Saxon, date: in the north wall of the chancel is a low side window, and at the west end of the north aisle a curious quatrefoil window: the church was re-opened in 1893, after complete restoration, at a cost of 2,100. The register dates from the year 1560. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value 260, including 15 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the vicar of Leighton Buzzard, and held since 1871 by the Rev. Thomas Green M.A., of St. John's College, Cambridge, who is also vicar of Tilsworth. Here is a Wesleyan chapel, built in 1870, and a Primitive Methodist chapel, built in 1860. There are two annual charges of 5s each for the poor. The principal landowners are Peter Valentine Gilpin esq. J.P. of Kilcullen, co. Kildare, Ireland, the trustee of the late Miss Lawford, Mrs. Twidell, Mr. Littleboy and Mr. Christopher Buckmaster. The soil is a kind of clay; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, beans and peas. The area is 1,514 acres; rateable value, 2,346; the population in 1901 was 342.

Post Office. - Levi Stevens, sub postmaster. Letters through Leighton Buzzard, delivered at 7.30 a.m. Box cleared at 6.10 p.m. week days only. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid. Hockliffe and Eaton Bray, both 3 miles distant, are the nearest money order & telegraph offices

Pillar Letter Box, near School, cleared at 6.10 p.m. week days only

A School Board of 5 member was formed July 7th 1874, for this parish, Tilsworth and Eggington; David Thomas Willis, 42 High street, Leighton Buzzard, clerk to the board; Samuel Radley Middleton, 14 Grove road, Leighton Buzzard, attendance officer

Board School (mixed & infants), built in 1881, for 150 children; average attendance, 90; Samuel Delamont, master Miss Jenny Crament, infants' mistress

Eames David, sen
Gladwell James
Green Rev. Thomas M.A. Vicarage

COMMERCIAL

Abel Arthur, duck breeder & butcher
Abraham George, carter
Abraham John, beer retailer
Abraham William, duck breeder
Billington Walter Thos. Boot & shoe maker
Blake Gaius, blacksmith
Blake Henry, farmer
Bunker Arthur, cattle dealer & farmer
Bunker George, cattle dealer
Clarke William, carpenter & joiner
Costin William Edward, carpenter
Eames David, jun. cattle dealer & farmer
Edwins John, farmer, Blue Gate farm
Florrence George Hy. beer retailer
Foxley Frederick, coal dealer & shopkeeper
Gadsden Thos. jun. farmer, Bluegate farm
Gadsden Thomas sen. farmer
Griffin John, farmer & thrashing machine owner, Church farm
Groom Joseph, farmer
Hawkins Albert, farmer
Higgs Thomas, shoe maker
Labrum Joseph Richard, coal merchant
Olney David, duck breeder & pig dealer
Olney George William, butcher, farmer & Red Lion P.H.
Olney Phillip, Five Bells P.H.
Rose Charles, butcher
Stevens Levi, shopkeeper, Post Office
Yirrell Charles, butcher & farmer, Mead farm