Leighton-Linslade Past Times: including Billington, Eggington, Heath & Reach and Stanbridge
Leighton BuzzardLinsladeBillingtonEggingtonHeath & ReachStanbridge
Contents Menu
Home
Domesday Book
What's in a name?
Town Coat of Arms
Guided Tours
Leighton Buzzard Observer
Trade Directories
Trade Directories
1830  Pigot's Directory
1864 Post Office Directory
1890 Kelly's Directory
1903 Kelly's Directory
1936 Kelly's Directory
Census
Local People
Events
Manorial History
Impacts of Wars
Populations
Bibliography
Links
Contents & photos
© copyright Kevin Quick

1903 Kelly's Trade Directory - LINSLADE

LINSLADE is a parish adjoining Leighton Buzzard, bounded on the east side by the River Ousel, which separates the counties of Bedford and Buckingham, and is close to Leighton Buzzard station on the main line from London to Bletchley of the London and North Western railway, 9.5 miles north-east from Aylesbury, 18 south-east from Buckingham, about 20 south-west from Bedford and 12 east from Winslow: it is in the Mid division of the county, three hundred of Cottesloe, the head of a petty sessional division, union and county court district of Leighton Buzzard, rural deanery of Ivinghoe, archdeaconry of Buckingham and diocese of Oxford.

This parish is governed by an Urban District Council of nine members, formed October 1st, 1897, under the provisions of the "Local Government Act, 1894" (56 and 57 Vict. ch.73), by Local Government Board Order No. 36, 631.

The church of St. Barnabas, erected in 1849, is a building of stone in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel with a vestry opening into it on the south side, nave of four bays, north porch, south aisle, and a western tower with low spire added in 1868, and containing 6 bells, 5 of which were removed from the old church of St. Mary: the stained east window is a memorial to Elizabeth Sarah Hadley, d. 1872: a new organ, the gift of Henry Finch esq. of The Gables, Linslade, was erected in 1889 at a cost of 1,400: there are 600 sittings. The register dates from the year 1690. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value 250, including voluntary contributions and 18 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Oxford, and held since 1889 by the Rev. Charles Edward Dandridge M.A. of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge, and surrogate. The old church of St. Mary, a building of the Decorated and Perpendicular periods, is now used for burials and occasionally for divine worship; it consists of chancel, nave, south porch and a western tower containing one bell: in 1898 this church was beautifully restored at the sole cost of Henry Finch esq.: the churchyard was enlarged in 1893 by 0.5 acre of ground, given by Sir A.D. Hayter bart. and a new boundary wall built by public subscription: it contains the remains of a cross: the church, with the manor house and a smaller house near, form the old village of Linslade. The Baptist chapel here, erected in 1843, will seat 300 persons: the Primitive Methodist chapel, built in 1861 affords 400 sittings. The village, now rapidly assuming the proportions of a town, adjoins the town of Leighton Buzzard. Leighton Buzzard railway station stands in this parish, and the Grand Junction canal passes through, occupying 26 acres of the parish. The petty sessions for the Ivinghoe bench of the Linslade division are held here. Two small charities, left under the wills of Mrs. Peacock and Sir Andrew Corbet bart. of Moreton Corbet, Salop, produce 3 yearly, and the Hadley bequest amounts to 4.5s. yearly, and Miss C. Lawford's to 2.10s. yearly, which is distributed in money to poor widows, Dr. Lawford's charity, producing 1.9s. yearly, is spent in blankets for the poor. Here is a police station with three cells for prisoners, a house for the inspector and a police-court. A recreation ground was presented in 1899 by Henry Finch esq. at a cost of 3,500. The Right Hon. Sir Arthur Divett Hayter bart. M.P. of Southill Park, Berks, is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is principally sand; subsoil, sandstone and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area is 1,667 acres of land and 26 of water; rateable value, 21,662; the population in 1901 was 2,157.

Southcott, is a small hamlet, one mile south.

Post, M. & T.O., T.M.O., E.D., P.P., S.B. & A. & I.O. - Thos Lloyd, sub-postmaster. Letters through Leighton Buzzard delivered 7 & 9.45 a.m. & 3.30 & 6.15. p.m.; dispatched, 8.35 & 11 a.m. & 12.20, 2.30, 5.30, 8 & 9.30 p.m.
sunday, 7.15 p.m.

Wall Letter Boxes, Wing road, cleared 8, 11.45, a.m. 5 & 7.15 p.m.; sunday, 7 p.m.; Canal bridge, cleared at 8.35 & 11 a.m. 12.20, 2.30, 5.30, 8 & 9.30 p.m.; sundays, 7.15 p.m.; Railway station, cleared at 8.35 & 11.0 a.m. 12.20, 2.30, 5.30, 8 & 9.30 p.m.; sundays 7.15 p.m. & Southcott, cleared at 7.45 & 10.15 a.m. & 7.5 p.m.; sunday, 7 p.m.

Pillar Box, Springfield road cleared at 7.45 & 10.15 a.m. & 7.5 p.m.; sundays, 7 p.m.

COUNTY MAGISTRATES FOR LINSLADE PETTY SESSIONAL DIVISION

Finlay Lt.-Col. Alex. Manor house, Little Brickhill, Bletchley, chairman
Orkney Earl of, Wing lodge, Leighton Buzzard
Cotes Charles esq. Burcott lodge, Wing, Leighton Buzzard
Finch Henry esq. The Gables, Linslade, Leighton Buzzard
Fountaine Bernard Thomas esq. Stoke house, Stoke Hammond, Bletchley
Freeman William Russel Stewart esq. D.L. Old Manor house, Wingrave, Aylesbury
Javal Paul Cremieu esq. Mill Bush Hill, Linslade, Leighton Buzzard
Jenney Stewart William esq. Drayton lodge, Tring
Jenney Stewart William jun. esq.
Lovett Percival Cosby Ernest esq. The Cottage, Soulbury, Leighton Buzzard
Mills Joseph Trueman esq. Stock gro. Leighton Buzzard
Rothschild Leopold de esq. C.V.O., D.L. Ascott house, Leighton Buzzard
Williams Joseph Grout esq. Pendley manor, Tring

The Chairman, for the time being, of the Linslade Urban & Wing District Councils are ex-officio magistrates

Clerk to the Magistrates, Charles W. Berkeley Calcott

Petty sessions are held at the Police court, Wing road, the 1st Monday in the month at 10 a.m. and at the Town hall, Ivinghoe the last Saturday in every month at 11 a.m.

The following places are included in the petty sessional division:- Aston Abbotts, Cheddington, Cublington, Dagnall, Edlesborough, Grove, Ivinghoe, Linslade, Marsworth, Mentmore, Northall, Pightlesthorne or Pitstone, Slapton, Soulbury, Stewkley, Wing, Wingrave

Police Station, Wing rd. Inspector Bunker & 2 constable

URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL

Meets at Council Room, Leighton road, the first & third Friday in every month.

Members.

Chairman, Henry Finch esq.
Vice-Chairman, Dr. Johnstone Harris

Retire April, 1904
Thomas Abbott
Henry Finch
Johnstone Harris

Retire April, 1905
William Merray
Joseph Thomas Lawrence
Albert James Parrott

Retire April 1906
James Faulkner
William Jeffs
Thomas Pullen

Officers.

Clerk, Robert John Platten, Leighton road
Treasurer, Frederick Bassett, banker, Leighton Buzzard
Medical Officer of Health, John George Durran M.B., C.M. Old road, Linslade
Surveyor & Sanitary Inspector, Thos. Brown, Leighton rd

Schools.

Elementary School (boys), built in 1874, & enlarged in 1893, for 170 children; average attendance, 120; Frederick Wood, master
Elementary (girls & infants), built in 1842, at a cost of 965, for 111 girls & 109 infants; average attendance, 100 girls & 100 infants; Miss Kate Bulmer, mistress; Miss Elizabeth Botsford, infants' mistress; this school is leased by the church

Leighton Buzzard Railway Station, Robert Anthony Dunleavy, station master

LINSLADE
PRIVATE RESIDENTS

Abbott Thomas, Mentmore road
Brooke Mrs. New road
Collingwood Walter G. Bossington ho
Cooper Samuel, Fernside
Cox Frederick, Wing road
Dandridge Rev. Charles Edward M.A. (vicar & surrogate), Vicarage
Dorman Mrs. New road
Durran John George M.B. Old road
Emery Edward, Clifton ho. Wing road
Faulkner James, Old road
Field William, Wing road
Finch Henry J.P. The Gables
Gatehouse John, Wing road
Hadley Mrs. Brooklands
Harris Johnstone Delavil John, Leighton road
Hicks Mrs. Stoke road
Javal Paul Cremieu J.P. Beausite
Lawford Miss, Church road
Lawrence Joseph Thomas, Binfield, Stoke road
Lievesley Miss, New road
Mead Matthew, Buxton house
Miller Mrs, Lawn villa
Parrott Albert James, Old road
Parsons Miss, Stoke road
Peppihat Mrs. Church road
Platten Robert John, Leighton road
Price Alfred, Woburn cottage
Richards George Thomas, Southcote rd
Richardson Charles, Southcott avenue
Roberts Mrs. Wing road
Ryder William H. Perth house
Scar John Algernon, Wing road
Sharpe Charles, Southcote avenue
Simpson Mrs, Linslade house
Sloan Edward, Southcote avenue
Sloan John Thame, Waterloo road
Street Mrs. New road
Tattam Edward, New road
Tavener Mrs. The Acacias
Theobald Miss, New road
Watkins William, The Elms
Webb James, Beaufort ho. Wing road
Yirrell Thomas, Leighton road

COMMERCIAL

Early closing day, Thursday

Abbott Thos. coal dlr. & machine owner
Baskerville John, stud groom to the Earl of Essex, Mentmore road
Bastick Alfred Richard, Clarendon hotel, New road
Bennett William, Temperance hotel & tobacconist, Leighton road
Blake Alfred, registrar of marriages, New road
Blundell John, joiner & undertaker, Old road
Bodsworth Thomas, Prudential agent, Wing road
Bodsworth William, saddler, Wing rd
Brantom & Co. millers (steam) & coal merchants
Briggs Edward, grocer, New road
Briggs Henry, livery stables
Brown Thomas, surveyor & sanitary inspector to the Urban District Council, Leighton road
Buckmaster Ruth (Mrs.), farmer, Manor house
Carter Charles Edward, baker & confectioner, Old road
Chandler George, baker & corn dealer, Wing road
Clarke Dennis, baker, New road
Coleman Mildred (Miss), ladies' schl. Sunnyside
Cook Albt. Edward, boot ma. New rd
Dimmock William, hairdresser, New rd
Dunn George, hatter, Leighton road
Durran John George M.B. & C.M. Aberd. surgeon & medical officer of health to the Urban District Council, Old road
Elliott Edwin, butcher
Elsey Hy. bricklayer & slater, New rd
Fellows, Morton & Clayton Limited, carriers, The Bridge
Field Fred, shopkeeper, Old road
Forster Institute (Alban Fathers, jun. sec.)
Fryer Mary (Miss), dress maker, Leighton road
Gale Annie (Mrs.), dress maker & servants' registry office, Old road
Green Susan (Mrs.), grocer, Old road
Greenway Kate (Mrs.), greengrocer, New road
Halsey Ezra, Buckingham Arms P.H. Old road
Harris Johnstone Delavil Jn. L.R.C.P. & S.Edin. physician & surgeon & certifying surgeon, Bridge house
Hopkins Thos. cattle dlr. Wing road
Heady J & Son, coach builders, Leighton road
Horwood Charles, milk dealer, Ship rd.
Howe James, Stag's Head P.H.
Howe Kate (Miss), draper, New road
Howe Mary Ann (Mrs.), shopkeeper, New road
King Edith (Miss) dress ma. New rd
Labrum John R. coal merchant, Ledburn Road wharf
Lane Joseph, grocer, Old road
Lane Thomas William W. Photographer, Old road
Large Joseph Jerome, road contractor & granite merchant, Church road
Lawrence Edwd. Elephant & Castle htl
Lawrence Joseph Thomas, architect & surveyor, Bridge street
Lloyd Thomas & Son, booksellers, Post office, New road
Loakes Frederick, boot & shoe maker, Wing road
London Leonard Henry, cycle maker, Leighton road
Mabbutt Emily (Mrs.), milliner & dress maker, Wing road
Mabbutt Harry, shopkeeper & painter, New road
Mabbutt Thomas, plumber & painter, Old road
Malin John, painter, New road
Mantz Francis George, sign writer, New road
Martin John Jeffery, nursery & seedsman, Wing road
Mead Henry Matthew, upholsterer & cabinet maker
Meager John, smith & farrier, New rd
Morgan & Co. Limited, coach & motor car builders, Leighton road
Newens Thos. boot repairer, Wing rd
Newton John, solicitor, clerk to magistrates, to the commissioners of taxes for the division of Cottesloe, to the board of guardians, to the school attendance & assessment committees of Leighton Buzzard union & clerk to Wing & Eaton Bray Rural District Councils
O'Meara James, White Horse P.H. New road
Platten Robert John, assistant overseer & rate collector & clerk to the Urban District Council, Leighton rd
Packwood Charles, New Euston inn
Powley Elijah, smith, Leighton road
Rideout William Henry, shopkeeper & beer retailer, Waterloo road
Roberts Charles Henry, income tax collector & county court bailiff, Springfield road
Rollings Ernest E. hairdresser & tobacconist, Leighton road
Sanders Henry H. teacher of music, New road
Sheerman James, Hunt hotel
Sloan John Thame, architect & surveyor, Waterloo road
Spiers Fredk. beer retlr. Old Linslade
Stevens Mary (Mrs.), The Ship, Wing road
Stone Frederick, butcher, Wing road
Stone Annie (Mrs.), butcher Wing rd
Tattam Edward, wine & spirit merchant, New road
Taylor William, grocer, Old road
Tompkins Lizzie (Miss), tobacconist, Wing road
Tooley & Co. Limited, corn & coal merchants, Old road
Treadwell Frederick, beer retlr. Old rd
Tring Elizabeth Sarah & Lily Florence (Misses), dress makers, Old road
Tustin Martin Jn. Railway htl. New road
Watkin Brothers, building material dealers, Leighton road
Willis William, stud groom to E.P. Saunders esq. Mentmore road
Yirrell Thomas, stone, marble & monumental mason, builder, builders' material, brick & sand merchant, brick & tile manufactr. Leighton road; & at Bletchley
Yirrell William, butcher & Bedford Arms P.H. Old road

SOUTHCOTT

Cotching Miss

COMMERCIAL

Birdsey Charles & Harry, farmers
Burroughs Edward, stud groom to Leopold de Rothschild esq.
Merry William, farmer
Scannell Kate (Mrs.), Hare P.H.