1903 Kelly's Trade Directory
EGGINGTON is a parish 3 miles east from Leighton Buzzard
station on the London and North Western railway and 5.5 miles north-west
from Dunstable, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Manshead,
petty sessional division, union and county court district of Leighton
Buzzard, rural deanery of Dunstable, archdeaconry of Bedford and diocese
of Ely. The church of St. Michael is a small building of the 13th century,
in the Early English and Early Decorated styles, consisting of chancel
and nave and a small western turret, containing 2 bells, and there is
a trefoiled Decorated piscina in the south wall; the church was entirely
restored in 1883, at a cost of £1,200, when a beautiful stained east window was erected to the memory of the Rev. Thomas L. J. Sunderland M.A. formerly curate of the parish and rector of Tilsworth, 1833: the font dates from the 12th century: the church will seat 140 persons. The earlier register is included in that of Leighton Buzzard, and dates from the year 1653, but there is a seperate register for the parish, of marriages from 1844; Baptisms, 1813 and burials, 1835. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £147, with half acre of glebe and residence, in the gift of the parishioners, and held since 1881 by the Rev. James Sunderland LL.M. and M.A. of Emmanuel College, Cambridge. Here are Congregational and Wesleyan chapels. The town lands, of 120 acres, produce about £125 yearly, of which one moiety is paid to the vicar and the remainder applied to the church and the poor. The principal land-owners are Gaius Batchelar, of Eaton Bray, the Misses Claridge, Mr. C.W. and Mrs. J. Hurnall, and Messrs. William Smith and John Warner Adams of Hockliffe. The soil is loamy; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are grass, wheat and barley. The area is 1,372 acres; rateable value, £2,025;
the population in 1901 was 239.
Clipstone is a hamlet 1 mile north.
Post Office. - Alfred Leach, sub-postmaster. Letters
through Leighton Buzzard arrive at 7 a.m. & 12 noon; dispatched at 10.30 a.m. & 6.40 p.m. weeks days only. Postal Orders are issued here, but not paid. The nearest money order & telegraph
office is at Hockliffe.
This place is included in Stanbridge, Eggington & Tilsworth
United School Board district, formed in 1874
Board School (mixed), erected in 1880 for 60 children; average attendance, 44; Miss Agnes Bishop, mistress.
CARRIER, Leighton. - Leach, 'Peacock.' daily.
Need Mrs. Eggington house
Sanderson Elliott A. Langley cottage
Sunderland Rev. Jas. LL.M., M.A. Vicarage
Welch John Batchelor
Bailey Thomas M. Plough inn
Batchelar Ezra, farmer, Manor, Charity & Hill farms
Blake Arthur, Horse Shoe P.H.
Clare Ernest, thrashing machine owner
Edwards H. & Sons, carpenters & joiners
Edwards Henrietta (Mrs.), grocer
Leach Alfred, grocer & carrier, Post office
Saunders William, farmer