Leighton-Linslade Past Times: including Billington, Eggington, Heath & Reach and Stanbridge
Leighton BuzzardLinsladeBillingtonEggingtonHeath & ReachStanbridge
Contents Menu
Home
Domesday Book
What's in a name?
Town Coat of Arms
Guided Tours
Leighton Buzzard Observer
Trade Directories
Trade Directories
1830  Pigot's Directory
1864 Post Office Directory
1890 Kelly's Directory
1903 Kelly's Directory
1936 Kelly's Directory
Census
Local People
Events
Manorial History
Impacts of Wars
Populations
Bibliography
Links
Contents & photos
© copyright Kevin Quick

1903 Kelly's Trade Directory - HEATH & REACH

HEATH AND REACH form a civil parish, on the borders of Bucks and the road from Leighton Buzzard to Woburn, 2.5 miles north from Leighton Buzzard station on the main line of the London and North Western railway, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Manshead, petty sessional division, union and county court district of Leighton Buzzard, rural deanery of Dunstable, archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese of Ely. The village is remarkable and picturesque, covering several hills and valleys, with pleasant landscapes stretching away into the distance with beautiful woods and plantations. The church of St. Leonard, rebuilt, with the exception of the tower, in 1815, is a plain building in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a low embattled western tower containing one bell: the chancel was added, and the whole church newly seated in 1866. The earlier register is included in that of Leighton Buzzard, which dated from 1562: there is a separate register from the year 1813. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value 270, with residence, built in 1852, and enlarged in 1869, in the gift of the vicar of Leighton Buzzard, and held since 1900 by the Rev. William Wallis Richards M.A. of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge. There is a Baptist chapel, built in 1842, with 180 sittings, and a Wesleyan chapel, built in 1877. The cemetery of about 1 acre, was laid out in 1850, the land being the gift of Mrs. Knight, of Mursley, and is under the control of the vicar. The Poor's land produces 13 yearly for fuel. J.T. Mills esq. of Husbands Bosworth, Leics. who is lord of the manor, and Messrs. Britten, Claridge, Bushell, Garside and Arnold, are the principal landowners. The chief crops are wheat, barley and roots. The land comprises arable, woodland and meadow. A white sand is dug here at a depth of many feet from the surface, and is used for making glass. The area is 2,390 acres; rateable value 4,492; the population in 1900 was 1,062.

Parish Clerk, James J Rayner.

Post & M.O.O., S.B. & A. & I.O. - Mrs Louisa Hart, sub-postmistress. Letters through Leighton Buzzard delivered at 7.25 & 11.55 a.m. & 4.40 p.m.; sundays, 7.25 a.m. Box cleared at 9.15 & 11.50 a.m. & 6.45 p.m. & sundays at 10.30 a.m. The nearest telegraph office is at Leighton Buzzard, 3 miles distant.
Wall Letter Box - Woburn road, cleared at 9.15 a.m. & 6.45 p.m.; Sundays, 10.25 a.m.

National School (mixed), rebuilt, with house for mistress, in 1863-4 & again enlarged in 1902 for 172 children; average attendance, 136; John Haybittle, master; (infants') added in 1876, for 84 children; average attendance, 66; Miss Jane Jellow, infants@ mistress.

CARRIER to Leighton Buzzard. - Stone, daily

PRIVATE RESIDENTS

Blewitt Miss, Heath house
Britten John
Chew Miss
Croft Hugh William, J.P. Rushmere lodge
Eatwell Edward William, West view
Eden John Arthur M.A. Laurel cottage
Guttridge William
Richards Rev. William Wallis M.A. (vicar), Vicarage
Saunders Edward Percy, Carlton Lodge

COMMERCIAL

Ashby Henry, farmer
Bates George, miller (water) & farmer
Belgrove George, butcher
Belgrove Thomas Robert, Red Lion P.H.
Botterill John George, Duke's Head P.H.
Brantom Arthur, carpenter
Brantom James, general dealer
Britten John Dunkley, farmer, Overend green, Milstree & Heath farms
Broom Walter Francis, school attendance officer for Leighton Buzzard Union & assistant overseer
Broom Walter Thomas, farm bailiff to George L.B. Calcott esq. Hatch farm, Heath road
Cherry Albert, coal dealer
Clark James, butcher
Croxford John, butcher, cattle dealer & farmer
Dancer Thomas, cowkeeper
Duncombe Jas. horse dealer & farmer
Eatwell Edward William, chartered accountant, West view
Eisele George, Star P.H.
Farmer Emma (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Gasking Sarah (Mrs.), dress maker
Hopkins Harry (Mrs.), baker
Horley William Benjamin, farmer
Hubbins Mary (Mrs.), dress maker
Kinman Henry, commercial traveller
Lansbury David, market gardener
Miles George, undertaker & carpenter
Morgan Frank, insurance agent
Olver Herbert Percy, Axe & Compass P.H.
Pearson George, coal & iron agent, Shenley house
Pratt William, shopkeeper
Rayner James Jabez, wheelwright
Reeve Thomas, blacksmith and beer retailer
Rose Charles, butcher
Rose John, grocer
Stevens John Fredk. shopkeeper & farmer
Stone William, carrier
Taylor John, shopkeeper
Tunbridge Charles, baker & grocer
Wainwright Laura (Mrs.), baker
Webb Louisa (Miss), shopkeeper