Leighton-Linslade Past Times: including Billington, Eggington, Heath & Reach and Stanbridge
Leighton BuzzardBillingtonEggingtonHeath & ReachStanbridge
Contents Menu
Home
Domesday Book
What's in a name?
Town Coat of Arms
Guided Tours
Leighton Buzzard Observer
Trade Directories
Trade Directories
1830  Pigot's Directory
1864 Post Office Directory
1890 Kelly's Directory
1903 Kelly's Directory
1936 Kelly's Directory
Census
Local People
Events
Manorial History
Impacts of Wars
Populations
Bibliography
Links
Contents & photos
© copyright Kevin Quick

1936 Kelly's Trade Directory - STANBRIDGE

STANBRIDGE is a small village and parish, 1 mile north from Stanbridge Ford station on the Leighton Buzzard and Dunstable branch of the London, Midland and Scottish railway, 3 miles east-by-south from Leighton Buzzard and about 4 north-west from Dunstable, in the Mid division of the county, hundred of Manshead, rural district of Luton, petty sessional division of Leighton Buzzard, county court district of Bletchley and Leighton Buzzard, rural deanery of Dunstable, archdeaconry of Bedford and diocese of St. Albans. The church of St. John the Baptist is a building of the 13th and 15th centuries, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave of four bays, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 5 bells: the church was altered in the 15th century, the nave roof flattened and leaded, the clerestory added, and Perpendicular windows inserted: there is an ancient stone font of very early, possibly Saxon, date: in the north wall of the chancel is a low side window, and at the west end of the north aisle a curious quatrefoil window: the church was re-opened in 1893, after complete restoration, at a cost of 2,100. The register dates from the year 1560. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value 280, including glebe, with residence, in the gift of the vicar of Leighton Buzzard, and held since 1927 by the Rev. Edward Reinagle Souper L.Th. of Durham University. There is a Methodist chapel, built in 1870, and another built in 1860. There are three annual charges of 5s each for the poor. The farmers are the chief landowners. The soil is a kind of clay; subsoil clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, beans and peas. The area is 1,514 acres; the population in 1931 was 377.
Post & Tel. Call Office. Letters through Leighton Buzzard. Hockliffe nearest M.O. & Leighton Buzzard nearest T. office.

PRIVATE RESIDENTS

Bunker Mrs., F. Ivy farm
Bunker Mrs., M. The Knolls
Franklin Miss, Morris lodge
Souper Rev. Edward Reinagle L.Th. The Vicarage

COMMERCIAL
Marked thus * farm 150 acres or over.

Abraham Frank Septimus, farmer, Green farm
Abraham Mark Percival, farmer, Mead farm
*Bunker Florence (Mrs.), farmer, Ivy farm
Clarke William, carpenter & joiner
Cleaver Ernest, farmer, Corner farm
Costin Wm. Ernest fmr. Church frm
Dawe Fredk. Ernest, hardware dlr
Eames David, farmer, Bury farm
Edwins Annie (Mrs.), farmer, Blue Gate farm
Faulkner Lawrence B. brick maker
Foxley Fredk. coal dlr
Giltrow David, shopkpr. & post office
Giltrow George James, beer retailer
Gurney Sarah Ann (Miss), shopkpr
Headey George Thomas, baker
Mead Dennis Chas. shopkpr
Newman Chas. dairyman
Olney Arth. butcher
Olney Wm Edwin, Red Lion P.H.
Shiers Jn. Fredk. beer retlr
Williams Stanley Arth. Five Bells P.H.
Wood Geo. farmer, Old farm
Yirrell Rose (Mrs.), farmer
Yirrell Thomas, brick maker