1936 Kelly's Trade Directory
EGGINGTON is a parish 3 miles east from Leighton Buzzard
station on the London, Midland and Scottish railway and 5.5 miles north-west
from Dunstable, in the Mid division of the county, hundred of Manshead,
rural district of Luton, petty sessional division of Leighton Buzzard,
county court district of Bletchley and Leighton Buzzard, rural deanery
of Dunstable, archdeaconry of Bedford and diocese of St. Albans. The church
of St. Michael is a small building of the 13th century, in the Early English
and Early Decorated styles, consisting of a chancel and nave and a small
western turret containing 2 bells, and there is a trefoiled Decorated piscina
in the south wall and another in the chancel: the church was entirely restored
in 1883, at a cost of £1,200, when a memorial east window was erected to the Rev. Thomas L.J. Sunderland M.A. formerly curate of the parish and rector of Tilsworth, 1833: the font dates from the 12th century: the church will seat 140 persons. The earlier register is included in that of Leighton Buzzard, and dates from the year 1653, but there is a separate register for the parish, of marriages, from 1844; baptisms, 1813, and burials, 1835. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £224, with an acre of glebe and residence, in the gift of such parishioners as are householders, and held since 1933 by the Rev. John Edwin Parkin B.A. of Durham University. There are Congregational and Methodist chapels. The town lands, of 120 acres, produce about £130
yearly, of which one moiety is paid to the vicar and the remainder applied
to the church and the poor. The principal landowners are Messrs. John Batchelar,
Fred Bunker and Harry Sear. The soil is loamy; sub-soil clay. The chief
crops are wheat and barley and some land in pasture. The area is 1,372
acres; the population 1931 was 243.
CLIPSTONE is a hamlet 1 mile north.
Post & Tel. Call Office. Letters through Leighton Buzzard. The nearest M. O. & T.
office is at Hockliffe
(for T N's see general list of Private Residents at the end of book.)
Gurney Frederick George, Claridges
Hodgson Jn. Lawrence, Eggington ho
Keep Thomas B., The Lodge
Parkin Rev. John Edwin B.A. (vicar), Vicarage
Symes Miss Annie, Langley cottage
marked thus* farm 150 acres or over.
*Batchelar John, farmer, Clipstone & Hill farms
Bright Ernest, smallholder, Clipstone
Edwards H. & Sons, builders, painters & decorators & plumbers
Fleckney Saml. smallholder, Church farm
Fooks Frank, smallholder
Hawkins, William Jas. dairy farmer
Leach Sarah (Mrs.), grocer & sub-postmistress
Munday Charles, farmer
Nash Wm. farmer, Clipstone
Pope Jn. Hy. Horse Shoes P.H.
*Sear Gaius Batchelar, farmer, Manor farm. Hockliffe 31
Wilson Jn. Wm. farmer, Claridges farm