Leighton-Linslade Past Times: including Billington, Eggington, Heath & Reach and Stanbridge
Leighton BuzzardBillingtonEggingtonHeath & ReachStanbridge
Contents Menu
Home
Domesday Book
What's in a name?
Town Coat of Arms
Guided Tours
Leighton Buzzard Observer
Trade Directories
Trade Directories
1830  Pigot's Directory
1864 Post Office Directory
1890 Kelly's Directory
1903 Kelly's Directory
1936 Kelly's Directory
Census
Local People
Events
Manorial History
Impacts of Wars
Populations
Bibliography
Links
Contents & photos
© copyright Kevin Quick

1936 Kelly's Trade Directory - HEATH & REACH

HEATH and REACH form a civil parish, on the borders of Bucks and the road from Leighton Buzzard to Woburn, 2.5 miles north from Leighton Buzzard station on the London and North Western section of the London, Midland and Scottish railway, in the Mid division of the county, hundred of Manshead, rural district of Luton, petty sessional division of Leighton Buzzard, county court district of Bletchley and Leighton Buzzard, rural deanery of Dunstable, archdeaconry of Bedford and diocese of St. Albans. The village is remarkable and picturesque, covering several hills and valleys, with pleasant landscapes stretching away into the distance with beautiful woods and plantations. The church of St. Leonard, rebuilt, with the exception of the tower, in 1829, is a plain building in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a low embattled western tower containing one bell: the chancel was added, and the whole church newly seated in 1866. The earlier register is included in that of Leighton Buzzard, which dates from 1562: there is a separate register from the year 1813. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value 338, with residence, built in 1852, and enlarged in 1869, in the gift of the vicar of Leighton Buzzard and held since 1935 by the Rev. Leonard Jocelyn Lightbody, M.A. of St. John's College, Oxford. There is a Baptist chapel, built in 1842, with 180 sittings, and a Methodist chapel, built in 1877. The cemetery of about one acre was laid out in 1850, the land being the gift of Mrs. Knight, of Mursley, and is under the control of the vicar. A cemetery adjoining, of 1.5 acres, was formed in 1913 and is under the control of the Parish Council. The Poor's land produces about 13 yearly for fuel. F.K. Kielberg esq. who is lord of the manor, and Mr. John Mossman Britten are the principal landowners. The land comprises chiefly woodland and meadow. A white sand is dug here at a depth of many feet from the surface, and is used for making glass. The area is 2,329 acres; the population in 1931 was 946.

By the South Bedfordshire Order, 1933, part of this parish was transferred to the parish and urban district of Leighton Buzzard.

Post, M.O., T. & T.E.D. Office. Letters through Leighton Buzzard.

Police Station

Carrier to Leighton Buzzard - John Rose, daily

PRIVATE RESIDENTS
(For T.N's. see general list of Private Residents at end of book.)

Hickman Mrs. Rushings
Lightbody Rev. Leonard Joselyn M.A. (vicar), The Vicarage
Ramsbotham Capt. Herwald O.B.E., M.C., M.P. Fox Corner; 198 Queen's gate S W 7 & Carlton club, London

COMMERCIAL
Marked thus * farm 150 acres or over

Bailey Rt. R. Sheep Lane garage
Banwell Frederick Albert, cycle dlr. Motor & electrical engineer
Bates Bros. millers (steam & water), Grange mill
Bedford Silica Sand Mines Ltd. (F. Parrott, manager), silica, silver & building sand pit proprietors
Blissett Edwd. Fras. butcher
Brantom Bertram, builder & decorator
British Legion (Heath & Reach) Ltd. (H. Pankhurst D.C.M. hon. sec)
* Britten John Mossman, farmer, Overend Green (TN 47) & Miletree farms
Brooks Arth. Wm. Duke's Head P.H.
Button Harry, shopkpr
Cemetery (H.A. Rolls, clerk to Burial Authority)
Chandler Geo. dairyman
Collyer Thos. H. Star inn
Corke Fredk. A. beer retlr
Croxford Alice & Clara (Misses) draprs
Dancer Ralph, dairyman
Dancer Sydney, poultry dlr. Bragenham farm
Dyer Horace Wm. butcher. T N8
Evans Walter, carter
Freeman, Wm. frmr. Checkley Wood fm
Geary Jn. carpntr
Gittings Harry Wilfred, baker
Gurney Geo. haulage contrctr. T N 39
Hedges Ernest, boot repairer
Hounslow Wltr. Axe & Compass inn
King Alfd. insur. agt.
Lansbury David, market gardener
Rayner Jsph. wheelwright
Roberts Albert, blacksmith
Robinson, Matthew, baker
Rolls Arthur, farmer, Birds hill
Rose John, carrier
St. Margaret's High School (Miss Alice Stace, principal) (postal address, Woburn, Bletchley, Bucks). T N59
Stevens Thomas, farmer, Emu farm
Stone Frederick, Red Lion P.H.
Taylor Wm. Gates, hardware dlr. Post office
Tompkins Howard Victor, baker
Turnbull Stanley, poultry farmer. T N23
Windmill Kate (Mrs.), shopkpr