Manorial History - Morteynes or Reynes Manor
This manor first appears in the 16th century, being
held of the chief manor of Stanbridge. It is called Morteynes, or Reynes
after the family names of the lords of the manor, who were also the
lords of Marston Mortaine, Bedfordshire.
Thomas Reynes died here in 1471 seised of a messuage and land,
this was eventually carried by a female heir of the Reynes to
of Decons, and a member of this family was the lord of the manor in 1511.
In 1544 Thomas Decons alienated the estate to Richard Bury and William
Duncombe, from whom it was acquired in 1562 by William Draper alias Rawlyns.
On his death in 1585, his son and heir, Gabriel inherited it,
and he was still in possession of the manor in 1604. Subsequently it
was conveyed to the Wiggs, and then from them, in 1700, to Alice Brandreth.
The Brandreth family kept the estate until the death of Henry
Brandreth about 1760, when the manor was passed by his will to his sister
Anne, wife of William Duncombe, at whose death, about 1778, it was inherited
by their son Brandreth. The latter sold it to John Franklin in 1786 (lord
of Morrells Manor), and it remained in his
possession into the 19th century.