Square, Leighton Buzzard
Photo Gallery -
click here to see photos and pictures of the Old Town Hall
Originally the building on the site was
used as the Market Toll House. This was a timbered building with
open arcades at ground floor level. It had a bell tower and clock.
The bell was used to summon townsfolk to hear announcements and attend
at the Market Cross. This building also
served as a school for a period of time.
In 1851 the lord of the manor paid £1,182 to replace
the house with a new, all brick building, and the upper storey
of this was then used as the Town Hall, with the County Court being
held there. The open ground floor was used by the market traders.
At the beginning of the 20th century the open arches
on the ground floor were bricked up to form a ground floor room,
which was then used to store market stalls and equipment.
In 1918 the council purchased the market rights and
Town Hall from the lord of the manor, J. T. Mills for £1,200, under
the condition that it should be retained by the Town Council for
ever for the use of the town.
From 1919 the building was used as
the Fire Station and an enlarged doorway
end. The building ceased being used as a Fire Station in
1963 when a new, purpose built, fire station was erected elsewhere
in the town.