Square, Leighton Buzzard
The building was Leighton Buzzard's first,
purpose built school, and was the gift of Lady Mary Leigh in 1790.
The Leigh family were Lords of the Manor and had frequently bequeathed
money in their wills for the education of the children of the town.
Similarly, Joshua Pulford, left money for education when he died
in 1710. So, prior to this building being erected, there were
already two endowed schools in the town: the Joshua Pulford School
and the Leigh Charity School. These joined together at the new
school to form what consequently came to be known
In 1884, Pulford's school moved to new premises in
Parsons Close Recreation Ground, and the old building became the
Post Office (this was previously located at 5 High Street and before
that at the old Eagle & Child building in Market Square)