Square, Leighton Buzzard
Built in 1855 for John Dollin Bassett
of Bassett's Bank, this house is situated at the end, and facing
of the High Street. The building is in the grounds of the original
Leigh Manor House and a number of the buildings from the original
Prebendal Manor House remain in the grounds e.g. the 'Temple'.
In 1866, John Dollin Bassett moved to live with his
son Francis Bassett at The Heath, Plantation Road and the house
taken over by Mr Theodore Harris (a partner of Mr Bassett).
author Mary Norton (1903 - 1992) spent many years of her childhood
living at Cedars House,
and she based "Firbank Hall" in her famous book "The Borrowers"
on Cedars House.
the building was used as a cottage hospital, and then finally
it was purchased by the Education Committee and in March 1921
the Cedars Secondary School held its first entrance exam and opened
later that year. Further change occurred with the introduction
of Comprehensive Secondary
Education and the adoption
of a Lower, Middle and Upper School system in the County. Cedars
was to become an Upper Scool and as a result it was decided that
a new purpose built site would be
and in 1973 the School moved to its present location in Mentmore
Road, Linslade. At the same time the old school became Leighton
which it still is today.