William Annand (1633 - 1689),
dean of Edinburgh
William was born at Ayr, Scotland, and was the son
of the minister there, William Annand. The family migrated to Kent
in the 1640s where William senior was vicar of Sailing, Kent in
1839, Throwley, Kent in 1649 and rector of Leaveland, Kent.
William junior was sent to University College, Oxford
in 1651 and matriculated in 1652. He began ministry in 1656 at
Weston on the Green, Oxfordshire, and after this he became vicar
of Leighton Buzzard. In 1661 he published Fides Catholica, or,
The Doctrine of the Catholick Church.
In 1662 he returned to Scotland, becoming the chaplain
to the earl of Middleton, the royal commisioner in the parliament
which restored episcopacy in Scotland. On 1st February 1663 he
was appointed minister of Tolbooth, Edinburgh.
On 14th January 1670 William married Helen Lundie
the daughter of John Lundie of Auchtermairnie. He transferred in
1672 to Tron Kirk and on 19th May 1676 he was collated dean of
Edinburgh. In this role he was present on the scaffold at the execution
of the earl of Argyll in 1685, and received from the earl 'his
paper' (presumably the apology for the earls actions).
He died in Edinburgh 13th June 1689, and had outlived
his wife and his daughter Barbara.